Vegetarian Stuffed Pepper Soup
• 2 cups cauliflower rice (1 steam-able bag is perfect)
• 2 cups diced bell pepper
• 1 cup onion
• 1 Jalapeño (optional)
• 1 clove garlic
• Pam Olive Oil spray
• 4 cups low sodium vegetable broth
• 14.5 oz canned fire roasted diced tomatoes
• 14.5 oz canned tomato sauce*
• 1 tsp salt or to taste, see notes
• 1 tsp black pepper
• 1 tsp salt-free Italian blend seasoning (Mrs. Dash)
• 1/2-1/4 tsp garlic powder
• 1/4 tsp dried oregano (I like using dried oregano leaves)
• 1/4 tsp red pepper flakes
- Chop your veggies and peel and mince your garlic.
- In a dutch oven or large pot over medium-high heat, heat up 2 tsp of oil and brown your onion. Cook until tender, approx. 5 minutes, adding garlic towards the end.
- Next add everything to the pot (including frozen or fresh cauliflower) and stir. Bring heat to boil, then cover and reduce to simmer.
- Allow soup to simmer for 20-35 minutes.
- Taste the soup, then adjust thickness to taste, adding a little more broth or tomato sauce to thin the soup if you prefer. Taste again and re-season to taste. The recipe above is how we make it since we love the soup thick like a stew/casserole.
- Spoon into bowls and garnish with all your favorite toppings (plain Greek yogurt is great! Leftovers are fantastic and even more flavorful than the first day and this soup can also be frozen for later!