Recipe of the Week: Low Carb Vegetable Soup
Serving Size 1.5 cups
• Pam Olive Oil Spray
• 2 onions, chopped
• 1/2 cup chopped celery
• 2 medium carrots peeled and chopped
• 6 cloves garlic finely chopped
• 2 zucchini chopped
• 10 oz fresh green beans sliced into 1-inch pieces
• 10 oz cauliflower florets
• 4 cups chopped cabbage leaves, washed (about 1/4 of a head)
• 2 quarts low sodium beef stock (chicken or vegetable broth may be used)
• 1 teaspoon beef bouillon powder, (chicken or vegetable may be used)
• 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper (if desired — adjust to your heat preference)
• 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
• 4 cups loosely packed spinach leaves washed
• 1/4 cup packed chopped fresh parsley leaves
• 2 teaspoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
• Heat Pam Spray in large, heavy-bottomed stockpot over medium-low heat. Once hot, add the onion, carrots and celery. Sauté until they begin to soften, about 8 minutes.
• Add the garlic and sauté until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Then add the zucchini and green beans and continue to cook for 4 to 5 more minutes, stirring occasionally.
• Throw in the cauliflower and cabbage leaves. Add the stock, increase the heat to high, and bring to a simmer. Once simmering, season with the bouillon and cayenne. Taste test and season with salt and pepper.
• Reduce the heat to low, cover, and cook until the vegetables are fork tender, about 20 minutes. Add the spinach leaves and stir through until wilted.
• Remove from heat and add the parsley and lemon juice.
• Adjust seasonings. Serve immediately.