Recipe of the Week: Low Carb Chicken Kale Soup
• 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
• 1 1/4 small yellow onion finely diced
• 2 medium carrots peeled and chopped
• 1 small leek chopped
• 3 medium stalks celery chopped
• 1 tbsp thyme leaves chopped
• 8 g fresh parsley
• 1 garlic clove minced
• 6 1/2 cups low sodium chicken stock
• 2 bay leaves
• 1/2 tsp salt or to taste
• 1/4 tsp black pepper or to taste
• 1 lb cooked chicken breast from cooked rotisserie chicken
• 1 cup chopped kale
• Squeeze of lemon juice
• 1 tsp fresh parsley
- Heat 1 tbsp olive oil in a non stick soup pot and sauté on a medium heat the onion, carrots, leek and celery with chopped thyme and about 2/3rds of the parsley for about 5 minutes until beginning to soften. Add the garlic and sauté for another 2 – 3 minutes.
- Add the stock, bay leaves, season and bring to boil. Reduce to a simmer and cook with lid on for 15 minutes.
- Add the cooked chicken. Remove half mixture and bay leaves and pulse with stick blender. This thickens the soup and adds flavor.
- Add the rest of soup back into the pan along with the greens and simmer until they soften (about 1 minute.)
- Swirl lemon juice into the soup and top with fresh parsley. Adjust seasoning to taste and enjoy.