Cauliflower Soup with Roasted Brussel Sprouts
canola cooking spray
16 oz cauliflower florets
16 oz brussels sprouts (halved)
1 teaspoon butter
1/2 cup chopped shallots
3 1/2 cups low sodium vegetable broth
3/4 teaspoon kosher salt black pepper (to taste)
- Preheat oven to 450F.
- Line a large baking sheet with foil and spray with oil. Place the cauliflower and the brussels cut side down on the baking sheet, and roast on the bottom third of the oven 25 minutes, tossing half way until slightly browned.
- Meanwhile, melt the butter in a large sauce pan over low heat and add shallots. Cook until translucent, about 5 minutes. Add the salt and broth and simmer for 5 minutes.
- Shut the oven off, reserve about 1 generous cup of the roasted vegetables and keep warm on the baking sheet.
- Transfer the rest to the pot and simmer 2 minutes.
- Transfer in two batches to the blender and blend until smooth.
- Serve in 4 bowls topped with the roasted vegetables and fresh black pepper, to taste. Serve immediately