Mediterranean Breakfast Casserole
Yields 10 servings
- 1 pound (16-oz) mild Italian chicken sausage
- 1 small head kale, chopped
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes, or grape tomatoes
- 1/2 cup reduced fat feta cheese crumbles
- 12 large eggs, beaten
- 3/4 tsp sea salt, to taste
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F.
- Heat a non-stick skillet over medium-high on the stove top and add the chicken sausage. Cook, stirring frequently, until cooked through, about 5 to 8 minutes.
- Add the kale and cover the skillet. Cook until wilted, about 2 to 3 minutes.
- Crack the eggs into a mixing bowl and whisk them until well-beaten. Whisk in the sea salt.
- Transfer the sausage and kale mixture to a lightly oiled (or sprayed) casserole dish and evenly sprinkle the tomatoes and feta cheese over the sausage and kale.
- Pour the beaten eggs over everything and use a cooking spoon to gently stir until it appears as though all ingredients are evenly distributed.
- Bake on the center rack of the preheated oven for 32 to 40 minutes, or until the eggs have set up and the edges of the casserole are golden-brown.
- Allow casserole to cool 10 minutes before slicing and serving.